Lakeside Middle School
13510 1st Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98125-3099
Lakeside Upper School
14050 1st Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98125-3099
Global Service Learning
Through active service and study, Lakeside’s Global Service Learning program seeks to develop in students the awareness of, respect for, and understanding of diverse cultural communities as well as the common issues facing our global community. Our goal is to inspire and empower students to be agents of change both in their local communities and in the international arena.
Lakeside's GSL program combines on-site service learning with cultural immersion in mostly rural areas in the developing and near-developing world. A global pre-trip curriculum, in addition to service learning projects at home and abroad, enable our students to better understand other cultures by experiencing them firsthand and appreciating them on their own terms.
- To foster local and global awareness and citizenship through values of mutual respect, cross-cultural understanding, equity, and justice.
- To connect with people through collaborative projects that test the knowledge and ability students already possess but may not yet have used.
- To inspire and empower students to be agents of change both in their local communities and in the international arena.
- To develop leadership and teamwork skills.
At the upper-school level (grades 9-12), the GSL program includes:
- 5 days of pre-trip curriculum directly preceding the trip.
- Four-week on-site summer service learning in China, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, India, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Thailand, mostly in rural areas.
- Twenty-four hours of post-trip domestic service learning related to overseas projects.
Starting in fall 2015, all 8th-grade students will participate in a new Global Service Learning program that takes place during the school year. The six GSL sites chosen are all Pacific Northwest communities where issues of economy, environment, and culture intersect.
The Middle School GSL program includes:
- An eight-day/seven-night trip taking place in October
- A pre- and post-trip curriculum integrated into students' classes
|Please visit the Upper School and Middle School GSL pages in addition to site specific pages for more information.|