An Independent School • Grades 5-12

by Katie W. '20 

I woke up this morning at around 5:30 a.m. to the sounds of roosters calling outdoors. Needless to say, I was a little groggy and disoriented. It’s a little strange…Sometimes I will think I hear the sound of a dog shaking itself off, but upon a glance outside, I’ll quickly realize that it was actually a chicken flapping its wings. Despite the light confusion I experienced this morning, before I knew it, I was having breakfast with my neighbors (and siblings) Alice and Megan. My Nene (Mom) made sure that we all had more than plenty to eat before heading off to our first day of service.

We started off by paying our first visit to the school, where we were seated around a classroom and greeted warmly by two songs (one of welcoming and the official school song) performed by the students.

Following that, we proceeded to tackle our first real service activity: transplanting grass and cleaning up some of the trash surrounding the creek. It involved some manual labor, but our leaders made sure that we stayed hydrated, so it wasn’t too tiring. My Momo (Dad) was also there to help out by driving the to-be-transplanted grass from location to location!

Our other service-ish activity from today was hanging out with the school children. After school had ended at around 3:00, our GSL group joined the kids for a couple of hours, playing soccer, rugby, volleyball, ring-around-the-rosie, a variation of duck-duck-goose involving a ball, called “Pussycat”, amongst many other games. I’m not quite sure how many piggy-back rides I’ve given or kids I’ve swung around on my arms today.

Besides our school-related activities, we also had a significant amount of free time today. I spent the majority of it playing card games (such as Uno, Spot It, and Spoons) in Sandhya’s homestay, drinking lemon leaf tea with Alice and I’s host families, and learning new games to play with the younger children.

Overall, today was extremely enjoyable and I feel like I have been given a glimpse into what the rest of this month has to offer. Hopefully, I’ll soon be able to ditch my watch and learn to use the roosters as an alarm clock.