By Rick Huegli, head strength and conditioning coach/Upper School physical education teacher
As Lakeside transitioned to remote learning, strength and conditioning coach Rick Huegli reflected on the importance of movement and shared a weekly exercise plan from his strength and conditioning course. Below, find a new exercise circuit, plus a link to the full weekly plan.
Spend 3-5 minutes with light activity, your choice. (See the warm up menu with ideas and for exercise definitions.)
Experiment with your warm ups if you can. Bear Crawls and Crab Walks would be great if you have space to do them. There is a fourth set of the Body Weight Leg Circuit beginning this week. Continue to execute with skill and speed and really try to maximize the height of your Squat Jumps.
- Quadruped Hip Abduction – 12x each leg
- Quadruped Knee Circle Backward – 12x each leg
- Quadruped Knee Circle Forward – 12x each leg
- Quadruped Straight Leg Reach Lateral – 12x each leg
Body Weight Leg Circuit – Perform four circuits.
Execute the exercises as quickly and skillfully as possible, moving to the next exercise immediately. Recover 90 seconds at the end of each circuit.
- Body Weight Squats – 20x
- Forward Lunge Alternate – 10x each leg
- Split Squats – 10x each leg
- Squat Jumps – 10x
Mountain Climber/Groiner/Thrust/Thrust Frog Circuit/Superman etc.
Execute the exercises as quickly and skillfully as possible. This week do this section as multiple set training. Complete each set, rest 15 seconds, perform next set, etc. Recover 15 seconds between exercises
- Mountain Climber – 3x12 each (15 sec. rest between sets)
- Groiner – 3x12 each (15 sec. rest between sets)
- Thrust – 3x12 each (15 sec. rest between sets)
- Thrust Frog – 3x12 each (15 sec. rest between sets)
- Skydiver– 3x12 each (15 sec. rest between sets)
- Push Up Plank Positions Shoulder Taps – 12x each (15 sec. rest between sets)
Hunderedpushup.com workout #1 for your appropriate week
Core – Work at your pace. Reset low back into the surface as needed.
- Supine Alphabet – 1x
- Plank Rotations Alternate (right,left = 1 rep) – 20x each
- V-Up Alternate – 20x each
- Flutter Kicks – 40x each