If you are a current 5th or 8th grader in the Seattle Public School district, we encourage you to apply!
Students and their parents/guardians are invited to join us at a LEEP Information Session to learn more about the program and its benefits. The dates are:
- Saturday, March 3 from 2-3 p.m. at the Lakeside Upper School campus (14050 1st Ave NE, Seattle 98215).
- Monday, March 12 from 6-7 p.m. at the Seattle Public Library: Columbia Branch (4721 Rainier Ave S, Seattle 98118)
No RSVP is required.
LEEP works closely with SPS counselors and teachers to help students navigate the application process. If your student is interested in applying, we recommend communicating that interest to your school's counselor or principal.
LEEP is free; there are no costs associated with attending. LEEP provides all required classroom supplies; bus transportation to and from Lakeside for students in Seattle; and a light breakfast and a full lunch each day. The costs of the program are covered by private donations. Some LEEP families choose to make a voluntary contribution, however this is not required.
LEEP 2018 will run July 9 through August 3, Monday through Friday. Attendance is crucial due to the limited time we have together. We allow one unexcused absence.
Because of this one-day absence policy, if students know now they have obligations that will make them miss more than one day of the program, LEEP would not be the right fit.
In 2018, we will enroll 40 students in the 5th-to-6th grade cohort, and 60 students in the 8th-to-9th grade cohort.
The LEEP student body is academically, ethnically, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse. Members of the 2017 cohort (students in the 8th-to-9th grade program) came from 18 different Seattle Public Schools middle schools or K-8s, and had an average GPA of 2.95. Eighty-six percent identified as a student of color, and 58 percent qualified for free and reduced-price lunch.
LEEP has an online application. To apply:
- Visit www.ravenna-hub.com and create an account.
- Create a student profile for the applicant.
- Find LEEP in the School Directory and click the green "apply" button.
- View all required application forms in Ravenna (see below for details).
A complete LEEP application includes:
- Family Information Form: filled out and submitted online. This form asks for basic information (like address, current school, and preferred bus stop)
- Student Responses: filled out and submitted online. Students will share why they are interested in LEEP.
- Parent/Guardian Responses: filled out and submitted online. Parents/guardians will share why they are interested in LEEP. If needed, others can translate parent/guardian responses by typing for them.
- Personal Reference: enter the reference's email in Ravenna, and the online form will be emailed to them. This form should be sent to a teacher, counselor, or mentor (not a family member).
- Records Request Form: print this form, sign it, and give to the student's current school. This form allows the current school to send 2017-18 grades to LEEP.
The application deadline is April 3, 2018.
Students and families will be notified of the LEEP admissions decision on May 1, 2018.